Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hello LONG weekend!!

Some of us are on the brink of a well deserved long weekend! Days like this are notoriously hard to focus on actually getting work done. My mind is on table settings, baking and cooking. There are worse things to be thinking about. Of course now I'm hungry...

In getting ready to leave work and tackle the commute home tonight, I'm thinking about how to set my office up for the weekend. Here are some things I will be doing to lesson the impact my little office will have while I am not here.

1. Unplug for the weekend. If you know you will be away for an extended period of time, unplug or turn off the equipment you won't be using. For me I will turn off and unplug my surge protector. There is no need for my radio and computer to be plugged in for four days. Four days...doesn't that sound like a mini vacation!!

2. Empty the clutter. I will be emptying my recycling box and cleaning out. That way when I return my office will clean and ready for me to start fresh. If you've been holding off on replacing your ink cartdige do it before you leave. Take the empty cartridge to a office supply retail store that will recycle it for you. Some will even give you money for each cartridge!

3.Close your blinds. If you are fortunate to have a window in your office, before you leave for the weekend, close the blinds. Closing the blinds helps to keep the heat in your office.

4. Turning the heat down. If you are the last to leave tonight, turn the thermostat down. No need to keep the office heated if there are no bodies that need to stay warm. Making this a habit on your way out will actually help your bottom line.

5. Lights off for the weekend. Finally, it may seem like common sense but so often people forget to simply turn the lights off. In offices especially we tend to think someone else will get it. Well, elect yourself to be "someone else" and just turn them off. If someone needs the light on they will be more likely to turn it off when they exit if the lights were off when they entered.

These are just a few simple office tips before leaving for your long weekend. Or really any weekend!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! And happy mini-vacation for some of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment